SomethingAwful parody

This forum is for all other topics that don't fit anywhere else.

SomethingAwful parody

Postby Seth » Nov 16, 2012 9:40:35 AM

SomethingAwful.com (the folks that, arguably, made uli internet famous) recently uploaded a new parody article about uli. have you seen it, uli? you can check it out here http://www.somethingawful.com/d/feature ... dreams.php

i thought it was pretty funny. what do you think of it?
Seth

Fav PM world: World 9, Carnivalesta
Skill with platformers: 4 - expert.

Re: SomethingAwful parody

Postby ulillillia » Nov 16, 2012 9:49:50 AM

There's a lot of false information and out of date information on there.
High elevation is the best elevation. The higher, the better the view!
ulillillia
Admin/developer

Fav PM world: World 10, Sentus Mountains
Fav PM song: World 20 - Bouncing to Victory

Postby Seth » Nov 16, 2012 9:55:39 AM

ulillillia wrote:There's a lot of false information and out of date information on there.

which information is false/out of date?

also, they at least plugged your book at the end of the article. :)
Seth

Postby ulillillia » Nov 16, 2012 10:54:13 AM

The list is long:

1. Well known for The Supernatural Olympics. This old game is horrible. Platform Masters, despite the near-complete lack of game play, is already miles ahead. Just one setting alone is already miles ahead. Look at Jeremy's House, Lake Keveran, or the Sentus Mountains. These worlds are so much better for their scenery than TSO. TSO doesn't even come close to that, even that little tiny thumbnail I have for my avatar. When PM is done, I'm releasing TSO as 100% pure freeware (closed source though) with no support. Gamestudio's limitations ruined that project. That's why I switched to C and the limits in Platform Masters are so extreme that human life spans are too short to encounter them (who can live 500 years to max the score or even just the roughly 10 years to max the lives with constant 24/7 play of doing the same thing over and over again?).
2. Need a new computer. I don't need a new computer. The i7-2600K CPU is one of the top-notch processors around and the GeForce 460 is quite up there (though mainly used for fast video decoding). I do need to upgrade the OS (very limited funding prevents it) though. The sound card is a little out of date but over 5 years, they haven't changed much. My 4-year-old TV tuner is working very well for me. Sure it doesn't have HD capabilities at all, I have nothing that outputs HD in the first place (outside my camcorder, of which is not TV or games) so I don't have any need for HD support. Right now, upgrading the OS is near the top of my priorities since almost nothing is supporting XP any more. The only exception is if something dies on me, preventing me from using my computer, and I need to replace it.
3. I never heard of "Gravis" and I've never used a joystick on the computer in the last almost 20 years now. I have zero joysticks in my possession.
4. I don't like peppermint with any kinds of mints. I only have wintergreen and cinnamon.
5. I've never had a lamp taken away nor have I melted anything on one. I've been using my small lamp for almost a decade by now and I've swapped out quite a few light bulbs in its history including one of those long-lasting compact fluorescent bulbs.
6. Altoids have no effect on energy levels. Even with 8 of them in my mouth, it still doesn't affect my energy levels.
7. "I dream during irregular sleep". That's false. One dreams typically 5 to 7 times a night, with only the last one being recalled.
8. Dream 1-1 is not my favorite mud dream. There are favorites in the "fun category" that would have been in the mud category, but with the fun rating so high, it goes into the fun category regardless. I haven't forgotten that dream much though.
9. When I don't go to the lake, I don't run around on hills. I go there for swimming, throwing rocks to skip them, and various other things.
10. Timing of meals has no effect on my health.
11. Though not an all-out error, I primarily use paper towels instead of napkins for degreasing. Paper towels are far more effective and they practically never stick like napkins pretty much always do (they still do, depending on various circumstances (grease level of cheese and the food's temperature being the main ones).
12. The soda trick involves vision, not hearing.
13. I haven't done anything with the Gamestudio forums since about 2006 (maybe 2007). I do recall "Bilbo" though, now that I've seen it. This is just out of date.
14. The hand trick has nothing to do with slopes. That's probably a reference to the calendar trick.
15. I don't have anything called "ruler trick".
16. I have no idea how many calories I'm taking out with degreasing. I've never found out. I'm only guessing.
17. I never use those 2 p-words and that article thinks I do.
18. The book cover is off considerably on the color, highly muted. Compare that to this:

ulillillia
Admin/developer

Postby AnalogWilliam » Nov 16, 2012 2:54:53 PM

I do think the humor of the article was in the right place and was not mean at all, but as Uli pointed out, a lot of due diligence was left undone on the details,

That said, the only one I noticed right away was the P word thing.

I think to understand the parody you have to read similar serious interviews in the same format.
AnalogWilliam

Skill with platformers: 2 - beginner.

Postby Gunbu » Nov 16, 2012 6:58:33 PM

Guess they were taking some creative liberties for the sake of comedy...
Well on the bright side, any publicity is good publicity!
Gunbu

Fav PM world: World 8, Barugan Reef

Postby Tyler_foofiter » Nov 17, 2012 1:13:10 AM

ulillillia wrote:The list is long:

1. Well known for The Supernatural Olympics. This old game is horrible. Platform Masters, despite the near-complete lack of game play, is already miles ahead. Just one setting alone is already miles ahead. Look at Jeremy's House, Lake Keveran, or the Sentus Mountains. These worlds are so much better for their scenery than TSO. TSO doesn't even come close to that, even that little tiny thumbnail I have for my avatar. When PM is done, I'm releasing TSO as 100% pure freeware (closed source though) with no support. Gamestudio's limitations ruined that project. That's why I switched to C and the limits in Platform Masters are so extreme that human life spans are too short to encounter them (who can live 500 years to max the score or even just the roughly 10 years to max the lives with constant 24/7 play of doing the same thing over and over again?).
2. Need a new computer. I don't need a new computer. The i7-2600K CPU is one of the top-notch processors around and the GeForce 460 is quite up there (though mainly used for fast video decoding). I do need to upgrade the OS (very limited funding prevents it) though. The sound card is a little out of date but over 5 years, they haven't changed much. My 4-year-old TV tuner is working very well for me. Sure it doesn't have HD capabilities at all, I have nothing that outputs HD in the first place (outside my camcorder, of which is not TV or games) so I don't have any need for HD support. Right now, upgrading the OS is near the top of my priorities since almost nothing is supporting XP any more. The only exception is if something dies on me, preventing me from using my computer, and I need to replace it.
3. I never heard of "Gravis" and I've never used a joystick on the computer in the last almost 20 years now. I have zero joysticks in my possession.
4. I don't like peppermint with any kinds of mints. I only have wintergreen and cinnamon.
5. I've never had a lamp taken away nor have I melted anything on one. I've been using my small lamp for almost a decade by now and I've swapped out quite a few light bulbs in its history including one of those long-lasting compact fluorescent bulbs.
6. Altoids have no effect on energy levels. Even with 8 of them in my mouth, it still doesn't affect my energy levels.
7. "I dream during irregular sleep". That's false. One dreams typically 5 to 7 times a night, with only the last one being recalled.
8. Dream 1-1 is not my favorite mud dream. There are favorites in the "fun category" that would have been in the mud category, but with the fun rating so high, it goes into the fun category regardless. I haven't forgotten that dream much though.
9. When I don't go to the lake, I don't run around on hills. I go there for swimming, throwing rocks to skip them, and various other things.
11. Though not an all-out error, I primarily use paper towels instead of napkins for degreasing. Paper towels are far more effective and they practically never stick like napkins pretty much always do (they still do, depending on various circumstances (grease level of cheese and the food's temperature being the main ones).
13. I haven't done anything with the Gamestudio forums since about 2006 (maybe 2007). I do recall "Bilbo" though, now that I've seen it. This is just out of date.
14. The hand trick has nothing to do with slopes. That's probably a reference to the calendar trick.
16. I have no idea how many calories I'm taking out with degreasing. I've never found out. I'm only guessing.
18. The book cover is off considerably on the color, highly muted. Compare that to this:

I caught onto about 14 of these upon just reading the article once... I remember one article somewhere saying something about how you never use flash player, which is just ridicules...
If I was being smart with you, how would you know?
-
Currently playing: Dragon Quest 8, Disgaea 2(PSP), Final Fantasy 10, Final Fantasy 12, Star Ocean Till the end of time, Valkeryia profile 2.
Tyler_foofiter

Postby Darkstar » Nov 17, 2012 2:07:31 AM

Yeah, you should generally never take Something Awful articles seriously, as the solid majority of them are parody articles, meant to get a laugh from the reader.
Darkstar

Fav PM world: World 2, Ronnis
Fav PM song: World 2 - Sway with Ronnis (not yet official)

Postby mob00101010 » Nov 19, 2012 12:42:24 PM

ulillillia wrote:The list is long:

:roll: I would say troll successful, dude. Those who cannot laugh at themselves leave the job to others...
mob00101010
New user

Fav PM world: World 15, Nodera Ice Shelf
Fav PM song: World 3 - Rainy Ronnisa Plains
Skill with platformers: 5 - master.

Postby ulillillia » Nov 19, 2012 4:42:31 PM

I had issues with flash in the past, a few years ago, but I no longer have any issues with it.
ulillillia
Admin/developer

Next

Return to General